This morning I drove past a white mini-van with green flames painted on it. Flames? On your mini-van? Really? I guess we do what we can. Maybe I should have a giant band-aid painted over my smashed-in passenger door.
Having to clock in every morning has been totally stressing me out. I clocked in at 9:01 the other day, and was worried I'd get in trouble. I got a talking-to on the first day of the month when it was brought to the attention of the exec' direc' that I'm consistently about five minutes late, even though I also consistently stay at least as many minutes after 5:30 as minutes I was late in the morning, and usually more. Apparently, it doesn't matter how late you stay, only how punctual you are in your arrival. And really, I'm expected to show up early, get my coffee in the kitchen, and be at my desk by 9:00am. Wow. It's really funny that I'm so annoyed by this rule. When I worked in SF, I had to be there at 8:00am and it took me half an hour to get there. Now I get to work at 9:00am and it takes me about ten minutes to get here. Why do I have so much trouble getting here on time? Well, to be fair, at my last job, I was usually about 15 minutes late because my boss came in an hour after I did and no one was really keeping tabs on when I showed up. And then after being there for about an hour (during which I did the absolute minimum of work) I would usually go out for a 20 minute bagel break. At the co-op, we had the "7 1/2 minute rule" which meant that if you arrived at work within 7 1/2 minutes of when you were supposed to be there, you were still considered on time. After 7 1/2 minutes, you were considered 15 minutes late, so you might as well take your sweet time. That seemed very fair to me. Here, even one minute of tardiness will cost you 15 minutes of pay. Ouch.
So, I've been trying to institute a practice of not hitting snooze. Rather, I set my alarm for 15 minutes before I actually intend to get out of bed, and when it goes off, I reset it for 15 minutes later. OK, I guess that's like hitting snooze. But! I feel more tired if I'm woken up every 4 minutes! It's true! I'm also really trying not to do that resetting thing at all, but I think it's just kind of unrealistic. I have to remind myself, repeatedly, that it's really nice to move slowly in the morning, and getting up early allows me to do that. I hate having this go on in my head: "Do I have enough time to wash my hair? Wait, how many days has it been? OH GOD, I've wasted precious minutes thinking about this when I could have just been washing my hair!" My brain doesn't really do mornings so well.
Ha ha, Zach says: "man, adulthood is so lame. remember when you used to wake up on christmas or your birthday and be all excited that it was a special day and you would get a bunch of presents? now i feel like that when my clothes are clean. bah." Hey, what sucks about that? Clean laundry is awesome. I don't know what he's talking about.
2 comments:
Woah. Zach reads your blog. Does Zach read my blog? (No.)
I <3 the 7 1/2 minute rule. I take advantage of it, like, daily.
Today I set a second alarm clock and put it on my top shelf. I also really had to be on time, cause I've been 15-45 minutes late the ENTIRE WEEK. (post Karaoke, I've had a hangover for days.)
Anyway, that worked for me. But I totes know what you mean about the snooze thing.
And your car is totally not worth a custom paint job.
Post a Comment