Friday, June 13, 2008

The Lusty Month of May

OMG, y'all, how did I skip the entire month of May? It was a good month, and action-packed!
  • Had a lovely picnic in GG Park for Lex's birthday
  • Celebrated Mothers' Day with the fam, and watched one of my aunt's friends try to reveal Dealbreaker's most offensive tattoo (good thing he's such a good sport)
  • Survived the golf tournament, where my dad won both the putting and the chipping contests
  • Signed up for the GRE
  • Went to Hawaii (Princeville, Kauai, to be specific)
  • Celebrated my little brother's 24th birthday, which is totally bewildering, because wasn't I just 24?
  • Enrolled in classes at community college
  • Went to the dentist, who reassured me that my gums are just fine
  • Cut my hair real short again (effing finally)
In the midst of all of this, I think I've finally made a decision about what to do with my life. It's become clear that working behind a desk (especially a desk in an attic) makes me miserable, and that fundraising is not my bag. Somehow my disparate interests in not working behind a desk, doing good, public health, and not being broke have culminated in me deciding to go back to school and graduate when I'm 30.

I hate having to think in real terms about ever being 30. It's OK in the abstract; like, I recognize that one day I'll be thirty. It's just weird to put it into terms like, "When I finish this thing I'm starting now, I will be 30." Not in the abstract, but in concrete terms. I will be finished in 2012, at which point in time I will be almost 31.

Ugh, this gives me a headache.

So, I have to stop fixating on it, and instead fixate on studying for the first standardized text I've taken in probably 10 years, if not more. I picked up the GRE book and realized that I don't know how to study anymore. Luckily, this one comes with a diagnostic pre-test, that tells you exactly where your weaknesses are and what you need to study. I mean, I'm pretty sure that I know which questions will make a giant question mark appear over my head, but I'm confident that all that high school algebra is still in my head somewhere; it's just a matter of digging it out.

Thinking about school and standardized testing makes me feel so young! Tra la!

No comments: