It seems to be a natural law that whenever I stumble out of my parents' house looking like I haven't showered and wearing like 15 layers of clothing, I'll run into an ex. I was in Moe's yesterday afternoon, at a time when productive members of society are toiling away at their desks, when I saw SP in the used literature section. And, like a tard, I totally had to go over to travel/cookbooks to net all the butterflies in my stomach. Gawd, it's been years, why does he still make me feel like I'm going to yak? We had a totally nice talk, complete with me making a joke about walking around Berkeley in my pajamas. Which I wasn't, thankfully. And funny, the first song that played when I got back in the car was the song he quoted on the first postcard he sent me from the road. He thought it was very clever to actually write "Dad, they broke me" on a postcard. I tend to agree; I later told him I thought it was self-indulgent.
I determined recently that one of the biggest obstacles to learning physiology is dispelling all the inaccurate things you always thought were true about your body. The other day in class, the teacher asked why we get tired after we eat. A woman guessed that it was because all your blood goes to your stomach instead of your brain, which is also kind of what I thought. The teacher explained (in his condescending "I can't believe you think that" kind of way) that's it actually because your blood becomes alkaline when you eat, so your body conserves CO2 to neutralize it, which means that you have less for your brain, so it gets sleepy. There are so many things like this that you just assume to be true about your body because they make sense in some strange way, and it can be a challenge to unlearn them. Or at least that's my crappy excuse this week. It'll all be over Thursday at noon.
Also, I read an article that suggests that Drunk J really is a different person! Goodbye, personal responsibility!
No comments:
Post a Comment