Friday, May 08, 2009

Charmed, I'm Sure

So, I'm kind of a passive member of OKCupid. For a period last year, I went on some dates, and then was like, "Feh," and contented myself with just keeping track of who's stalking me on that thing. It's like getting attention without really having to do anything, and I am very lazy. I'm trying to get back in the Fortress again...not that that ever works.

Anyway, so this guy messaged me the other day, ostensibly to ask about bars because he used to own one in North Carolina blah blah blah. I looked at his profile and noticed that he's one of these people who announces his proclivity for the open relationship. So I write back and tell him about bars I like and hate, because I do love talking about bars I like and hate, and then I ask,
So, I'm curious...what is it about my profile that makes me get so many messages from the poly people? Not that I take any issue with that at all; I've been in my share of open relationships, and I don't think that cheating should be the worst thing you can do in a relationship. (It's the lying that I take issue with.) But, you know, I don't say any of that in my profile. Hm.
He writes back, talks about the Ruby Room, the pinball museum, blah blah, but includes this at the end, which I of course found fascinating, since I'm a total narcissist:
So I can't speak for the other poly people--god, I hate that term. [Insert relationship philosophy here...yadda yadda yadda] I don't know why a lot of people listed as poly would write to you, other than the obvious: you're smart, attractive, fun and seem really damn reasonable, which are all awesome and admirable traits. I'm sure you get responses from all kinds of people, so even if we don't end up going out I am truly flattered that you wrote me back.
I'm just such a sucker for compliments from people I've never actually met. I'm pleased that I can present myself as a "really damn reasonable" human being in some sphere, even if it's not, you know, in real life.

Maybe he's just into my dykey haircut.

No comments: