Friday, January 28, 2005

Where is everyone?

It's dark, gloomy and suburban as fuck. And no one is emailing this morning. It's a travesty. Upon Heather's advice, I have abandoned the peaches in the fridge. I thought I could trust Berkeley Bowl with matters such as this, but I guess I can't. And if you can't trust Berkeley Bowl, who CAN you trust?

There is a rubber stamp store in Garden Grove called "Your Pad or Mine?" I just found out this morning that there is a veritable cult of rubber stamp devotees. they have websites. They have conferences. They plan vacations around the locations of rubber stamp shops. It's amazing.

I've got to stop using my hands in lieu of cutting boards. Not that I've lost any fingers or severed any nerves, nor have I recently ended up with fingernails in my salad, or anything like that. The troublesome thing is that I am essentially graceless, and one of these days I will end up with a big slash down the middle of my hand and a tomato full of blood. Luckily blood blends well with tomatoes, aesthetically anyway. And I do like scars; I guess I'll keep using my hands as cutting boards.

The gloom outside is outstanding. Gloom interspersed with impossibly bright rays of sunlight piercing through the clouds. And I'm having a great hair day. I wasn't sure, but I checked, and I am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. that's funny that you mention that store because just today i saw a shirt with a picture on it of two frogs in love and one frog was saying to the other frog, "your pad or mine?" i thought it was really cute.

2. if not a cutting board you should at least invest in a moderately priced bagel cutter. because unlike the tomato, blood and bagels don't go well together aesthetically or otherwise. unless lox is involved i guess.

3. love,
amanda

nobody said...

oh no no no. you misunderstood. i was chiding you for buying the peaches in the first place. but to abandon or (gasp) throw out these peaches would be heinous! i woudl never recommend such a thing. wasting a food is a crime in my book. dont do it.
instead, make them into a dessert or some preserves. bad fruit can make a fine dessert. its not that hard. there are jizzillions of recipes on www.recipesource.com. peach cobbler, peach bread, peach crumb cake, etc.
even if you dont bake (i have no idea about your kitchen tendencies but the "hand as cutting board" thing doesnt bode well), now's your time to change that. a peach pie (or freeform galette, if you lack a pie pan) would be simple but adventurous, but also elegant and delicious, and i am pretty sure you could get away with making one with nothing but butter, flour, sugar, salt, and these peaches. its really easy!
and if you really dont want to bother with a pie crust, just fucking slice them up and sautee them in butter and sugar or something. add some cinammon, whatever tickles your fancy, and wait at least till spring to buy anymore stone fruits.

Harpie said...

don't worry heather...as i'm sure Drunk Julia told you last night, they've only been temporarily abandoned until i figure out what to do with them. i'm totally anti-food-wasting too, hence my tendency towards continuing to eat when i am already full and/or finishing a mealy, slightly icky peach even though it is mealy and slightly icky.

zdinkmeyer said...

1. i'm pretty sure you threw those peaches out.

2. my mom is totally one of those stamp people. it's fucking freaky. everytime she tries to bring up something about my drinking/drug problem all's i got to do is wave a fist in the general direction of the room that used to be mine. now it belongs to a heinous collection of stamps, pastel colored paper, cute little die cut hole punches, and astoundlingly cloying photo albums with titles like sizzix sizzlets. the thing about the vacations is scary AND true.