Duuuuuuh, I should totally be writing about how I went to see my dad's band play last night! But I am a busy, busy girl, and thus forget such things. And it's 4am, so now my post will be BRILLIANT!! I assure you, brilliance is in order!
There were many scenes involving drunk grown-ups (of which I am not one), and many scenes of me emphasizing that my gentleman companion was my roommate. Well, actually, I didn't get as many nudges or winks as I expected, so that scene only happened perhaps twice. It's very funny interacting with the grown-ups in a social setting involving a lot of beer, with a soundtrack by a band they used to see back when they were, oh, my age. Grown-ups dancing like early-20-somethings are very entertaining.
Brother and I got to surprise Dad backstage, because he thought we were in Seattle. Ha! He was very excited. I, however, was very disappointed that he was not wearing the Inca Kola shirt that I brought him from Peru. Hmph. It's bright yellow! What other option is there?
I met a lady who has known my mom since they were six, and she exclaimed, "Oh, you look JUST LIKE your mom and your dad!" I'm standing there thinking, "Yeah, maybe that's genetic?"
Parents' friend Jenny was delightfully drunk, and kept talking about how her husband thought my dad was sooooooo coooooooooool, and he'd never seen him actually play before, and he was just like, "whoa, that's my golf buddy!" I'm sure his response wasn't quite as exaggerated as Jenny would have liked us to believe. Tom is a lovely guy.
Saw friend's parents, and wasn't sure what to say to them, having finished two very large beers, so said something like, "These guys ROCK!" Then I inserted my foot into my mouth. Then I said, "Let me get my brother!"
Mom seemed pretty drunk, but she was also very off-balance, being that her foot is in this huge boot thing. Because it's been broken for two months, but she only found that out, like, last week. Jeez, Mom. Her hair was huge, and even when we were standing way up front, and she was standing way in back, we could quite easily pick her out of the crowd.
Oh, and I was that guy wearing the band's shirt. I was actually surprised that I was the only loser who did that. These girls behind me flipped OUT when they saw the shirt, and started asking me all these questions, and I tried to explain to them that I was the kid of one of the band members. They didn't seem to understand, because they continued asking me questions about things from the '70s. I said, "I'm one of their DAUGHTERS," at which point, they were like, "Oh, woooooow, so you grew up with the Taz!!" They had to have been really high. Or stupid.
The lights did not do so well on the faces of the band. Dad, Dennis and Duane were smart and wore hats and sunglasses, but Dave, who I always thought was the cute one (and whose hot son just got married!) looked like a skeleton. But hey, at least he didn't look like the weird keyboardist they found on craigslist, a sort of hippie Dom DeLuise, who totally gave himself the name "Parabar." Parabar? Dude, you're white. White. I don't know, maybe that's his given name, but I somehow doubt that. Very much.
They sounded excellent. And I love seeing how many loyal fans they have after 25 years. I also love that you can pay the same price to see Dick Dale that you pay to see my dad's defunct band from the '70s. That price, incidentally, is $18.
OK, it's 4:30am, I'm writing in my blog and listening to sad music. What's missing from this picture? Beer. Duh. Actually, let's see, did I not decide to switch to whiskey, particularly while reading Hemingway? Well, my training is not going well. I managed a glass of watered down Johnny Walker Red while reading Islands in the Stream in the Mirador Hotel in Bolivia, which sounds much cooler than it was. No, I guess that was pretty cool.
There are a lot of cars driving around outside my house for it being such an ungodly hour. With loud engines.
Best Pavement line: "Time after time was my least favorite song!" Perhaps not best, but most amusing to me at this moment.
Uh oh, is it getting light out?
1 comment:
Oh boy oh boy was I excited to see updates. My monthly blog check was def not for naught. Ha.
I should also tell you I'm partying down online too: kasiablanca.blogspot.com. Exclusive! You better fall back into the habit of leaving me 3 too many comments. I'd be insulted otherwise.
Post a Comment