Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Things I Find Stupid vs. Things I Find Awesome

1. Using a paper cutter to separate things that are perforated. I mean, really, WHY?? So, at the last event we hosted at which we needed name tags, I handled the whole thing, start to finish. I did not have a problem using the perforations to separate them, while simultaneously keeping them in order AND pulling the name tags for volunteers who would be arriving early. For the event we had on Sunday, however, I stopped at printing the name tags; another group of like 5 people handled the separating and sorting. Somehow, all the name tags were out of order, some got lost, some got stuck together, and nearly all of them had crooked edges.

2. Insisting on keeping name tags from past events for all eternity, just in case. So, yes, there are people for whom we will be making name tags for every single event we host, it's true. However, doesn't it seem harder to dig though piles of old name tags looking for the ones you need rather than just printing a new batch? (I guess not if you're using a paper cutter to separate them.) Does anyone realize how irritating it is to remove a bunch of names from a mail merge? DO THEY?? People keep saying, "Great, we can keep these name tags for next year!!" so I guess not. And I guess they don't understand the wonders of mail merge. Excel + Word = <3

3. Scheduling your big annual newsletter, your big annual event and your big web launch for the same week. Do you really honestly expect me to juggle all of those things and not let something slip between the cracks? Do you?

4. Being inconsistent, and thinking your assistant is insane for doing something you told her to do before you changed your mind. Again. That's not really fair, now, is it? Perhaps you should consider listing ESP as a required job skill.

OK, fine, so I'm a little fried from being in the middle of a 12 day long work week. But really, the ED and the Pres' of the Board have both been telling me how much they love me, like, nonstop, which is really nice. My boss...well, I've decided that when she acts frustrated with me, she's really frustrated with herself. I'm sharper than she is, because I'm like 87 years younger than she is. It was really great having my mom and bro and BF meet her finally; my bro afterwards told me that she had the Crazy Eye. Dude, she totally does!

So, maybe I should make a list of things that are awesome:

1. Important people saying things like, "We were just talking about how great you are! And patient! It does not escape me that you need to have a lot of patience for this job."

2. The fact that there is not wet tanbark all over my house.

3. My cute haircut.

See? Isn't that nicer?

No comments: