Monday, January 15, 2007

Thank you, MLK!

I went shoe shopping today. And gawd, I totally have the same problem every time I go shoe shopping: every time, the shoes that catch my eye are either 1) totally not what I need to get or 2) near duplicates of shoes I already have. Sometimes, they are some sort of thrilling combination of the two. I was looking for sensible, cute flat shoes that I can wear to work. I tried on a beautiful teal pair of these, even though I have some beautiful teal shoes already that are much more subtle and classy, and I already almost never wear those. I checked out these sensible-ish yet cute things, in black, but they didn't have them in my size. I somehow restrained myself from trying on these, by reminding myself quite sternly that I already have some black, peep toe stilettos that are surely more comfortable and perfecter and BACK AWAY FROM THE SHOES, JULIA!!!! I must remind y'all that the last pair of shoes I bought myself were these, and even though they are beautiful and I NEEDED TO BUY THEM, I didn't really need need them. But I've since bought a very cute dress that matches them, so it's OK, right?

I ended up getting some cherry red New Balances. I do need new sneakers. I do not, however, have my debit card at the moment, as it mysteriously disappeared, so I had to make my domestic partner buy my fucking shoes. My shoes that I can't wear to work. Oops.

Clearly I have a problem.

What I'm really looking for is a pair of cute, flat shoes that will never go out of style and go with everything I own, be it skirt or pant, slovenly weekend wear or dinner with parents attire, and will feel like I'm walking in a field of fuzzy little bunny rabbits. I am also on the lookout for the same in little black jacket form. I truly believe that these things are out there.

After our little shopping trip, we thought about the fact that we totally should have been doing some sort of public service act, like, you know, in honor of MLK and his Day. Um, I carpooled...does that count? And I'm just, uh, doing my best to keep the economy afloat?

Anyway.

So, the nun called my cellphone, my house and my cellphone again yesterday, because she couldn't find a file on the computer. It's so funny, really, that she'd even think that I could remember where it was saved, but I'm magical, and I remember such things with shocking... uh... shockingness. (Damn, I really wanted to use the word alacrity there, but it's just not the right word! At all! Oh, no, the one I wanted was dexterity. Duh.) Anyway, my phone happened to be on silent when she called, and, when I didn't answer, she called my house and spoke with the DP. So, I first caught wind of the series of calls via a text message. I checked my VM, and first there was a message from the DP that was something like, "Dude, your boss can't find some file on the computer because she's OLD and can't work computers." Then, a message from the nun, apologizing profusely for calling me during the holiday weekend, blah blah, where's the file? I called her back, and she was trying to tell me that she searched for it and nothing turned up, and I'm thinking, "Look, lady, or sister, or whatever, you must not know how to search if you couldn't find the effing thing." But she was very nice, and again, very apologetic, and basically I just need to learn to be more patient with people who are old, scattered, forgetful and/or nuns. I'm thinking about meditating.

In other news, our heater has been broken for many days, so it sucks around here. I compared it to living in an igloo, but the DP claims that igloo would probably be warmer.

No comments: