Wednesday, November 03, 2004

There's always a little bit of rage bubbling just below the surface. I think it all comes from the feeling of being misunderstood.

Today was the first day this week that my BART train wasn't late; of course, I was about 3 seconds late, so the train shut its doors and pulled out of the station without me.

So this election had the highest voter turnout since 1968. The sad thing about that is that it's still less than 60% of the eligible population. And Bush is the first president since his father to be elected with over 50% of the popular vote. Were that many people really not paying attention? Do we really live in that much of a tiny bubble here in California? Are we exposed to that many more voices of dissent than the rest of the country? 11 FUCKING STATES PASSED LAWS BANNING GAY MARRIAGE?? WHAT IS GOING ON?? I want to go to these states and shake people, and ask them how exactly gay marriage threatens the sanctity of straight marriage, and how on earth gay marriage could possibly be scarier to them than losing their civil liberties.

The best I can hope for after Bush's victory is a huge liberal backlash; maybe Bush will continue to fuck things up in horrific enough ways to make people wake the fuck up. Hillary in 2008 perhaps? Barbara Boxer? At least she vows to always fight for our reproductive freedom.

I feel like such an angry person today.

No comments: