Saturday, July 17, 2004

Was it last weekend of the weekend before?

I guess it was the weekend before, but Matty B. and Nicky P. attempted to teach me to play chess. It was basically just Matt versus Nick with me moving the pieces for Nick. But Nick was a great teacher; he tried to make me figure out for myself which was the right piece to move, even though I usually got it wrong. But I see great chess in my future! Nick's reason for making me learn was, "What if Eric asks you to play chess? Are you gonna say, "Uuhhhhh, I don't know hooooooow.....'" I don't really see THAT conversation taking place. Then Matt and I left Nick to go hang out with his mom, and we hiked around Mt. Tam. The amazing thing about it was that we did not get into a fight the whole time! Not even a spat! I do love Matty B., for realz. He's totally the big brother I never knew I wanted.
 
So this weekend has started with me going home with the intention of having some q.t. with the fam before I skip town for a week. What really happened is that I forgot to water my plants, my mom went to bed right after dinner, I did laundry and my dad fell asleep while we were watching a movie. The main topic of conversation was how my godmother spent all night puking after the memorial. She was pretty trashed when I left, and apparently directly thereafter got super sick in the bathroom at the yacht club, then again in the ivy in front of my grandparents' house, then again in the bathroom of the same, then again at my parents' house. And she slept in my bed that night, so I was all worried that I was going to find little splatterings of vomit amidst the covers when I slept there last night. Splatterings found: 0. Praise the friggin lord.
 
Oh, and Eli thinks I'm avoiding him!! He thinks I've been consciously NOT going to Kerry House for fear of seeing him because it's "awkward." The funny thing was, when he told me this, I had just been to the Kerry House the night before with Amanda and Jason (I'm always saying I'm going to buy Jason a beer, but then it takes months before I follow through) after we saw Spiderman 2. I saw Sean there but pretended I didn't, and he did the same. (Usually, I have to force my hellos upon him, but I didn't feel like being the nice guy on Monday.) Then he spilled coffee all over himself and the floor with a robust splash, while Amanda and I stiffled giggles, and Jason made some overly-loud comment. And Tag and I sang "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." Actually, the only part I sang was "Hey!" while pointing at Tag in a stupid contrived way. And in the months of May and June, I attended/orchestrated 3 birthday events at said Kerry House. Of course, these were with the non-smoking crowd, so we sat downstairs, which was weird, but less smelly.
 
I'm reading Vonnegut's Jailbird about a page and a half at a time. I think this week I will have much more time to read. There's only so much Gabe and I have to talk about...he's thinking about bringing his laptop with him. How absurd!! I was trying to read Guns, Germs and Steel for a while, and I meant to bring it with me, but I forgot. Just like I forgot to water my plants. Poor babies!
 
OK, darlings, this is my last post before I leave the realm of computers for a week (unless Gabe brings his laptop, and unless the weather is shitty enough that we come home), so drink it in, read it again and again while you cry yourselves to sleep because you miss me so.

No comments: