Thursday, August 05, 2004

filet mignigma

I just ate a big fucking steak. A filet mignon, that is. And it was wrapped in...BACON. Just, you know, for all those who didn't understand that filet mignigma meant "an enigma wrapped in bacon" way back in November. And, OK, filet mignon isn't really a big fucking steak per se, but it is very good and it is a lot of beef. I may never need to eat again. Until tomorrow.

So the filet in question was eaten for my mom's birthday. Everyone was cranky except my mom and me, which was kinda weird. My uncle and brother just bitched about their jobs, and my dad was slightly and silently irritable. My uncle spilled an entire glass of white wine on him. My dad said nothing, just moved all the beverages out of lap-spilling distance. Yeah, he was kinda visibly irritated, but wouldn't you be if your brother-in-law spilled an entire glass of very cold wine on your lap? Then, for some reason unknown to me, my uncle flipped the fuck out. He kept saying he was going to leave and that it was a "fuckin accident!" It totally made no sense and made me wish that everyone would stop being so childish.

The drive home: why, oh why, is the Richmond Bridge such a disaster? People are apparently afraid to drive over those metal plates at a normal speed. And twice, people in front of me slammed on their brakes for no apparent reason, causing me to almost rear-end them. Once I got off the bridge and almost onto 80, I drove past a car on fire. Complete with police vehicles of all sorts and a fire truck hosing the flaming car down. Pretty wild.

So now I'm home and I changed the name of my blog. Elusive temporality was this phrase that Professor Bernstein used in my Ulysses class that I took my last semester in college. It was ostensibly titled something else, something about modernity, but it was really just the Ulysses class. It was so great. But I changed my blog name to this because I realized that I really only talk about temporal things, and all my entries are based on fleeting impulses to talk about the trivial things in my life, like the coffee machine at work. Speaking of triviality, I decided that I want to get paid to socialize (like I did at C.O.), since I pretty much view my social life as my career. I mean, when Jen called me last Friday, freakin out about the campsite disaster, I made it my mission to inform the masses (with the shittiest email ever, but hey, it was like 4:30, I'd been at work all day), then to follow up with her to make sure that she'd covered all her bases. I always want to put party planning on my resume...oh my god, I want to have another party so fuckin bad. Perhaps if we purchase some area rugs and well-behaved party guests who don't "piss and crap" on the neighbors' house...THEN we could have a party.

See, it's Adventures in the Here and Now because my train of thought is all over the place. Although I have an uncanny memory, I can't hold a thought in my head for very long before jumping to the next one. Hm.

After removing the word "fucking" from this post twice, I spellchecked it and realized that even when I try to clean up, I still swear a whole fuckin lot. That must be so off-putting. Or really fuckin rock'n'roll.

No comments: