OK, you guys...I was 20 once, not so long ago. I was in a stupid relationship situation when I was 20 and remained somehow entangled in it until...uh...now? I really really shouldn't be so age-ist or so mean. I don't know...I'm really not a jerk. I didn't mean to shittalk, and it's not exactly pity I feel for this girl, it's something else? Like I just want to shake her and be like, "what are you doing to yourself??" I thought I was really wise and had all this relationship experience (I kinda did) when I was 20, and that I was all jaded and above all the stupid crap...but you really never are, and you can get infatuated and hurt when you're 20, 30, 40...90. I'm not saying it's never going to happen to me again, just because I'm "so old" now.
So I bought the new Modest Mouse CD yesterday, and wow, when you listen to it, it has some good flow through the first few songs especially, but even as well as the first few songs sound really coherent next the each other, the radio song stands out as the radio song. There's something so poppy about it, which is what detered me from buying the album initially. Modest Mouse gone pop? Isn't it bad enough that they're in a car commercial? I'm fully behind the idea that selling out is not necessarily bad (I mean, don't bands exist for people to hear them, and doesn't more exposure, even via car commercials, equal more people hearing them, which equals good?), but I'm not all about bands just becoming all poppy to increase their listenership. But they didn't, they still sound all weird, and, you know. I also bought Surfer Rosa because Eric bought tickets to the Pixies even though he thinks the Pixies aren't even very good except for Where is My Mind. Admittedly, Where is My Mind is a super good song...but so is Gigantic! And Bone Machine! So, really, the point here is, why buy expensive concert tickets to see some band you don't even like that much? So I guess, uh, I'm going to aurally rape him with the Pixies and see how he likes it!
I also bought this Thelonius Monk CD that happened to be in the used new arrivals because I haven't been purchasing enough jazz lately. OK, I haven't been purchasing enough CDs at all lately, which is why I bought 3. And 2 books: Henderson the Rain King by Bellow and Willard and his Bowling Trophies by Brautigan, the former because I feel like I should read some of that Nobel Prize-winning guy, and the latter because I've never read or heard of this one! I meant to call Eli to see if he had, but I didn't.
I think this is becoming too much about my shopping habits. I think it's still the novelty of getting a regular paycheck again. Even though it's been six months.
No comments:
Post a Comment