Thursday, August 12, 2004

Oh...

I keep answering the phone and getting this bizarre recording that's just a woman saying hesitantly, "Oh...I'm sorry, I called the wrong number. Bye-bye." I've gotten this call like 5 times today! Why would there be a recorded message that says this? It just called again! This is totally baffling to me...

6 comments:

David Pearl said...

I just got this exact call. WTF!?

Anonymous said...

I get these also. I have two phone lines in sequence. Usually get the same call within minutes on both lines.

I started noticing these calls years ago and have got them in several different houses, with different phone lines. It used to be a man's voice that would say the same thing. I'm surprised there is no info on this anywhere on the internet.

My theory is that it's an automated dialer looking for answering machines. When it finds an answering machine it leaves a message telling you to call an 800 number to claim a prize or something.

All telemarketers must die!! They are the scum of the earth.

Matt

Anonymous said...

I looked all over the Internet for what this is. "Oh.. I'm sorry. I called the wrong number> bye bye." SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think the issue is a "war dialer" looking for a fax machine. Alternatively, it could be looking for an answering machine, perhaps waiting for a number of rings first, or somehow knowing that it is an answering maching, like a tone after the talking stops. It is a bit creepy.

Anonymous said...

Over the past two months I have received at least 9 of these calls which I answered: "Oh, I'm sorry, I must have the wrong number.", then it disconnects. It must be a recording. Six times it was male, three times female, but the exact same tone and statement. It lists on the caller ID as "Unknown". If I let the machine try to pick it up, no message is left, in fact my machine is set to 6 rings, and most of the time, the "Unknown" caller stops on four rings. It's not considered harrasment, so you can't put a trace on it. My attorney suggested traceing based on the premise that someone was "casing the joint", so to speak, to see if anyone was home, planning a robbery. Who knows? It's a PIA, for sure.

Anonymous said...

i just had my first run-in with "her", and here's my conspiracy theory: "she" is calling you, listening to and recording how you answer the phone ("ABC Company, this is Bob") or what your voicemail greeting says, and using that information to populate a database with information about you. That information could later be used for social engineering purposes to scam you. Definitely makes me uneasy wondering why I got that call...