Friday, August 13, 2004

The Office Space of Blogs

Yes, I know, it's so sad...but hopefully I'll have another crazy weekend soon (like tonight??) so I'll have some fun stories to tell. Hopefully not so fun that I don't remember them...anyway.

So those calls have still been coming in today. Usually two at the exact same moment on 2 different extensions. They're starting to be mildly infuriating, so I called the operator. Um, for some reason dialing zero just connected me to AT&T's automated thingie that only gave me options regarding billing and services I could order. So I called SBC, and their automated thingie (which I only got to after 5 minutes of attempting to navigate the automated options which all make it impossible to talk to an actual person) said, "Your account is handled by AT&T. Their phone number is..." So I called that number. "Thank you for calling AT&T, " it says. "This is no longer the correct number. The new number is..." So I call that number, attempt to navigate another automated maze, stay on hold for several minutes, and finally get a person. "Oh my, that must be annoying," the very nice lady says. "Let me transfer you to maintenance and see if they can help you." OK, that makes sense...hold hold hold...I finally get a maintenance guy. "Oh, how weird. This is a business? Let me transfer you to the business department and see what they can do." Hold hold hold...so now I've listened to 3 different kinds of hold music, one of which sounds exactly like our hold music, so I'm starting to think I'm just on hold with myself. I finally get another person. They transfer me somewhere else. I think there may be another automated menu involved somewhere in here, and while I'm holding I receive the call I'm trying to stop again, so I'm feeling like there still is a point to my being on hold for this long. I get another person. "Oh, this is a large account? You need to talk to UniPlan service. Their number is this, your account number is this, but I can just connect you." So I get to another automated menu, finally reach another person, who says, "Let me transfer you to harassing calls." Suddenly there is no hold music. Have I gone into the abyss? I'm still connected to something, so I keep holding. Then some hold music comes on for about 10 seconds, and I'm directed to another automated menu. None of the options apply to me, so I choose nothing, hoping that the default will be that I'm connected to an actual person, the elusive person #6 who will be able to solve my problems. But no, instead I get a recording that says, "The toll free number you have dialed is not available in your area." And then I'm disconnected. What the....?!?!?

I've given up. I continue to answer the calls that say, "Oh...I'm sorry, I called the wrong number. Bye bye." I'm starting to think that I called the wrong number...what happened to being able to just call the operator and asking them to track the call or something? I don't know, I don't know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, that's not boring. That shit's hilarious! Is this Julia? I don't know. Whatever. I haven't read anything except this post, but it was good. Keep up the good work, soldier. I hope to hear the end of this phone saga, even though I probably won't return here again.
-mpm

Harpie said...

This is julia...but who's mpm??

Harpie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.